1.21.2009

School Would Be Better Without Brown-Nosers

People who suck up suck. If you're the one being sucked up to, I'm sure it's a big compliment and you enjoy the fact that someone wants your approval so badly that they have to act in this demeaning manner. If you work with suck ups, you know how irritating that can be. While everyone else is actually doing work, the suck ups are scheming a way to get credit and praise. It sucks.

My economics class is full of geeks, including the teacher (surprise). Being a morning class, the average age of attending students is about 19. I guess they've honed their brown-nosing skills so well during high school that they naturally bloom whenever there's the slightest fertile brown-nosing ground.

The teacher asks questions like, "How much would you be willing to pay for a doughnut?" The class gets all excited to help out. Inevitably, a student or two will continue talking. Especially the girl who sits in front of me. "I read in 'The Economist' online about this exact same thing," she says. "Some of my friends say that's not true, what you're saying, but I don't listen to them."

My education is a big test of how long I can stay quiet. Come on, kids, if we all shut up, we can get out of here faster. It's a lesson you'll learn in meetings, when you suck up to someone and gain employment. The more you talk in meetings, the longer they last. The more people hate it when you start talking, and the less you'll be loved by your colleagues who have to do your work because you're too busy trying to take credit for their work.

The girl in front of me does know some things. I know she reads "The Economist." She doesn't have to tell everyone about it, though. We don't care. We're not here to hear her. I, actually, want to learn something and not more brown-nosing techniques. There's only so far you can go when you suck up.

(Stella's sucking her finger and that's why she's here. She's the best baby ever, and she didn't have to suck up to have me say that.)